The following is a detailed timeline we are compiling of the movements of the life of the Victorian writer Charles Dickens during the year 1843, as we come across them in letters, newspaper articles and other research. We have also included some key contemporary events that occurred in society.
Missing a date? if you know of any movements not covered here we would welcome letting us know, along with a reference to any source material so we can try to fill in the gaps.
- January. Martin Chuzzlewit is published monthly between January 1843 and July 1844.
- August – September. Spends the summer in Broadstairs.
- October (2). Returns to London from Broadstairs.
- October (5). Gives a speech to members of the Manchester Athenaeum on the virtues on education and learning at the institution.
- December (19). A Christmas Carol is published (in one volume). All 6,000 copies of the initial print run sell out within days.