The following is a detailed timeline we are compiling of the movements of the life of the Victorian writer Charles Dickens during the year 1848, as we come across them in letters, newspaper articles and other research. We have also included some key contemporary events that occurred in society.
Missing a date? if you know of any movements not covered here we would welcome letting us know, along with a reference to any source material so we can try to fill in the gaps.
- May (15). Dickens manages and performs at a charity night at the Theatre Royal Haymarket in aid of Shakespeare’s House at Stratford-upon-Avon.
- June (5). Appears in charity performance of The Merry Wives of Windsor in Liverpool.
- June (27). Appears in charity performance of The Merry Wives of Windsor at the Theatre Royal, Birmingham.
- September (2). Dickens’ beloved older sister, Fanny, dies.
- November (27). Stays at Bedford Hotel, Brighton.
- November (28). Stays at Bedford Hotel, Brighton.
- December. The Haunted Man, Dickens last Christmas book is published.