The following is a detailed timeline we are compiling of the movements of the life of the Victorian writer Charles Dickens during the year 1850, as we come across them in letters, newspaper articles and other research. We have also included some key contemporary events that occurred in society.
Missing a date? if you know of any movements not covered here we would welcome letting us know, along with a reference to any source material so we can try to fill in the gaps.
- March (30). First edition of Household Words. The article The Amusements of the People, about popular theatre, is published in the first edition.
- April (13). Third edition of Household Words. A second article entitled The Amusements of the People is published, about a visit to The Eagle saloon theatre in the east-end of London.
- May (18). The Begging-Letter Writer is published in Household Words.
- August (16). Dickens’s ninth child, Dora Annie Dickens, is born.
- November (18, Monday). Dickens stages amateur theatricals at Knebworth House.
- November (19, Tuesday). Dickens stages amateur theatricals at Knebworth House.
- November (20, Wednesday). Dickens stages amateur theatricals at Knebworth House.