The following is a detailed timeline we are compiling of the movements of the life of the Victorian writer Charles Dickens during the year 1859, as we come across them in letters, newspaper articles and other research. We have also included some key contemporary events that occurred in society.
Missing a date? if you know of any movements not covered here we would welcome letting us know, along with a reference to any source material so we can try to fill in the gaps.
- April (30, Saturday). Launch of All the Year Round, a weekly magazine founded and owned by Charles Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities is published weekly between April and November.
- May (28, Saturday). Final edition of Household Words is published.
- October (17 – 28). Short Reading Tour.
- October (17, Monday). Cambridge.
- October (18, Tuesday). Cambridge.