The following is a detailed timeline we are compiling of the movements of the life of the Victorian writer Charles Dickens during the year 1863, as we come across them in letters, newspaper articles and other research. We have also included some key contemporary events that occurred in society.
Missing a date? if you know of any movements not covered here we would welcome letting us know, along with a reference to any source material so we can try to fill in the gaps.
January (10). World’s first underground railway opens in London when the Metropolitan Railway starts services between Paddington and Farringdon.
- January. Gives charity readings at the British Embassy in Paris.
- June. Gives public readings in London.
- Dickens’ mother, Elizabeth, dies.
- Dickens reconciles his friendship with William Makepeace Thackeray at the Athenaeum club.
- December (31). His son, Walter, dies in Calcutta, India.