St George’s Hall is a neoclassical building on Lime Street in the centre Liverpool, opposite Lime Street railway station. It contains concert halls and law courts. Construction of St George’s Hall started in 1841 on a site formerly occupied by the first Liverpool Infirmary, and the building opened in 1854.
Charles Dickens and St George’s Hall.
Dickens returned to Liverpool in January 1862 to on a reading tour and used the Small Concert Room in St George’s Hall, which Dickens thought was ideal for his Readings. On that occassion he gave three Readings, ‘Bob Sawyer’, ‘David Copperfield’ and ‘Nicholas Nickleby’ he was due to give another three Readings the following day, but feeling unwell he travelled over to Birkenhead to clear his head.
Dickens returned again to St George’s Hall which was now his favorite venue, giving a series of reading in January and February.
In late 1868 Dickens was back in Liverpool appearing at St George’s Hall on the 12th, 13th and 14th October and the 26th, 27th, and 28th, where he Read, ‘David Copperfield’ and ‘Mr Chops, the Dwarf” to packed houses. Dickens health was suffering and in late 1868 Dickens agent announced a series of farewell tours for the author.
On 10th April 1869 Dickens was entertained at the banquet held in St George’s Hall held in his honour which was attained by the Lord Mayor and the great and the good of Liverpool.