The Parish Church of Saint Luke’s, Chelsea, is an Anglican church, on Sydney Street, Chelsea, London SW3, just off the King’s Road. Ecclesiastically it is in the Deanery of Chelsea, part of the Diocese of London.
It was designed by James Savage in 1819 and is of architectural significance as one of the earliest Gothic Revival churches in London, perhaps the earliest to be a complete new construction. St Luke’s is a one of the first group of Commissioners’ churches, having received a grant of £8,333 towards its construction with money voted by Parliament as a result of the Church Building Act of 1818.
Charles Dickens and Saint Luke’s Church.
Charles Dickens was married at Saint Luke’s church to Catherine Hogarth on 2 April 1836, two days after the publication of the first part of the The Pickwick Papers, his first great success. The Church was close to the home of the Hogarth family and Charles Dickens had taken lodgings at nearby 11 Selwood Terrace, Brompton, whilst courting Catherine.